Thursday, October 4, 2012

Jasmine Bracelets and Moon Cakes


Mid-Autumn Festival celebrates the harvest; the ancient legend of Houyi, Feng Meng, and Chang'e (the Moon Goddess); and, most importantly, the ongoing significance of family and reuniting with loved ones. Chinese trains and buses were teeming with people headed home to share the holiday with family this past week. Of course, nobody will take the place of my sons and sibs, but my extended Chinese family has been unbelievably hospitable and generous.
Adam Jones photograph.
Moon cakes, dense and delicious, are shared with family and friends. Special thanks to my waiban, to Li Ling and her family, to Li Ying and Peng Laoshi, to Mrs. Liu and Mr. Mou, and to many students for lavish gifts and good wishes. Thanks to Zuo Jia who first bestowed her jasmine "bracelet" upon me  (she threaded around my wrist sweet-smelling flowers from her roof-top garden) after striking up a conversation at a lecture and then invited me to a holiday luncheon. www.mrbigben.com image.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Marty,

    I am so enjoying your lovely, thoughtful blog. It think you have a fantastic book getting started right here!

    Miss you a lot. This Sunday is an auction for Shakir's family trust fund, I am donating some of my mother's work.

    Last week we went to Washington DC and I donated my father's papers to the Holocaust Museum. It's been a long time in the works and it felt totally right. I will have photocopies of everything, of course.

    I am looking forward to hearing about your teaching experiences.

    Oh, guess what, Columbia teachers voted to be represented by NEA yesterday!!

    Now I will attempt to send this! Love you, Aline

    ReplyDelete