Friday, December 28, 2012

Elves

December 24th, in case you didn't know, was a work day, a cold one--it least it was for me, as was December 25th. So this work day had its ups and downs. A frightening pile of thesis proposals was mounting on the corner of my desk. Someone was going to have to grade all of those. There was a short conversation with my dean that proved to be exhilarating, productive. More on that later. But, while all this was in the front of my mind, in the back I was wondering just who was coming to dinner. Anyone?

Several students had informed me last week that they were making me a Christmas Eve dinner--at my apartment--but I hadn't heard any more about it. They had been adamant--I was to buy nothing, prepare nothing. Still. Complicating things, a tutor had asked me to see an exhibit featuring her mother's paper-cutting, an exhibit that would be up for exactly five more hours and hung up on a clothesline in front of a building a mile away. It was not a convenient time to go see her mother's papercuts, but I did. I found out her mother is good.

So it was much later than I had hoped when I returned to my apartment, a few miles away, and found a washing machine in the middle of the living room. It was, in fact, the old one, a very small machine that worked just fine. Why was it in the living room? Well, a Chinese worker, under the supervision of the landlady, Mrs. Niu, was trying to cram another one into the old space, and it wasn't going to fit. He was also trying to tell me something with great spirit and gusto, and I had no clue what he was saying. There was water all over the kitchen floor, which meant that there were muddy footprints tracked all over the little apartment with white tiles on the floor. It was freezing--or close enough. Five degrees Celcius. I had planned to bake some Christmas cookies and clean things up before my students came--but I couldn't get within five feet of the sink and the water was turned off anyway.

I was spared having to decide what to do next because two male students banged on my door and  unloaded two big shopping bags on my couch. My cell phone rang and the class monitor welcomed the three of us to come join the rest of the gang in Yong Hui supermarket so I could help them pick out some vegetables. The guys and I half ran there and, thanks to cell phones, finally found the others milling around.

Before long, there were thirty-five of us back in my kitchen--well, thirty-five in my apartment and as many as could fit in the kitchen. I'll let the photos below tell the rest of the story. Let me say this, though, these "only children" function like a big family in ways that vaguely remind me of my own big family. They get stuff done. They work together for the good of the whole. They pitch in, they're fun, and they're utterly amazing.
Before they morphed

. . . into elves

Five degrees Celcius

Before they put up a Christmas tree

Elves decorating


Each elf making his or her own famous hometown dish

Elves under their bow


Elves making lots of paper flowers

Voila!


Elves preparing mushrooms

Elves paper cutting (amazing things put in surprising places)

Hungry elves

Only the beginning of the feast--the wok was hot until 10:00 pm


Elves eating
The last elf left after every dish was washed, every leftover bagged up, every inch of floor mopped. Then, at 10:20, Co and Fasty (older students, different class) banged on the door, with gift in hand and a huge bouquet of flowers. Yes, sure, they would have some tea. They stayed and talked until 11:15, when they had to sca-daddle to get back before their dormitory doors were locked.

6 comments:

  1. How neat, Mom! I'm so glad--although not surprised--that your students have adopted you. If we couldn't be together for Christmas, this had to be the next best thing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty, that's just fantastic!! I was so worried about you being alone and lonely on Christmas. It's heart-warming to know this bunch of students is taking such good care of you. I can't imagine 35 people in what looks like a teeny apartment, but what do I know about the Chinese? Not much, evidently. I sure missed sharing at least part of this holiday season with you, but hope to make up for it in a few years. In the meantime, I love reading all about what's happening there. Be well and Happy New Year! I can't wait to hear what the elves will do to make it a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and belated Merry Christmas! I missed stopping for a holiday visit as I drove across Missouri and wondered how you would be celebrating the holidays. It sounds like a lump of coal in your stocking might have been a welcome gift from Santa. You could use it to heat your apartment. Love and good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty, How sweet of your students to honor their favorite teacher in this way! Now, about that 5 degree Celsius situation -- can we send blankets or warmer clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this entry, although it doesn't surprise me! What a lovely tribute to a fantastic educator. That said, now I'm hungry for an elf feast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang mama, thats a pretty neat story, and pics to accompany. Your students must really think you're pretty neat! I might need to have a talke with them before they spoil you too much! Glad to hear your Christmas was action packed, and full of smiling bodies. The food looked good too. Look forward to reading more soon.
    Love,
    BenG

    ReplyDelete