Friday, June 28, 2013

Shopping for Greens

I invite you to go shopping with me. If we go to the foot of my hill, we'll pass this little corner shop where the mahjong players might stop to take a look at us. Then, if we decide to go around the corner to the left, we'll find a dozen veggie vendors. But, if we turn to the right, again, within fifty steps we'll find another dozen veggie vendors.


We've gone to the left and can see another apartment complex--a newer, more upscale one--looming behind the little farmer's market. Barely visible to the right is JinYun Mountain.
We'll find an abundance of fruit and vegetables here.

 But if we go back and turn to the right, as we would if we were going to head on up to campus, we'd pass these folks. Lately, they have had a lot of corn, which they husk on the spot.

 I pass this woman several times a day, going to and from campus, and buy most of my eggs, tofu, spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and cucumbers from her.




When we take the steps just out of sight to the right, we'll pass the people doing taijiquan and then more steps that take us to the lane going back up the hill to my building, number four. If we keep going way up to the top of the hill, beyond all of the apartment buildings, we come to a mountain lane that houses another community. I suspect that many of the vegetables I buy come from back here.

 Although the fruit comes and goes with the season, most of the vegetables are available year around. It's a vegetable paradise. Now we'll have to see what we can do with the wok!

No comments:

Post a Comment