Friday, August 10, 2012

From Chengdu to Chongqing

Today our language skills were tested in four different classrooms: In one we made pretend phone calls to the shifu to come repair our leaky water heaters, in another we haggled with the ticket taker for a seat on a train to Lanzhou, in still another we fended off robbers and molesters, and in still another we had to make peace with passengers who had different ideas about an open window.

Monday all this will cease to be academic: I will make my first solo trip--by taxi to the north station in Chengdu, then by "long distance" bus to Chongqing, four hours away. Will I remember to tell the taxi cab driver to turn on the meter and will he understand me? Once in Chongqing, will I be able to avoid the ritual toasts to honored guests--Ganbei! Bottoms up!--without insulting my university chair and waiban? Will the banker understand me when I try to open a bank account? Will I be assigned writing classes enrolling 90 students each? What will I think of the Yangtze and the Three Gorges?
Or Chongqing? If you don't want to wait for whatever I have to report next week, check out  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing for more about Chongqing. My university is in the Beibei district, a forty minute bus ride from downtown Chongqing.










8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The butterfly flutters its wings.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how you're feeling about diving into the deep end of the pool, i.e., being in your permanent site, all on your own? Borrowing from Marilyn's comment, I have butterflies fluttering in my stomach on your behalf. But no doubt, you will excel in this, as you do in everything. The idea of 100 degree heat in China never occurred to me. Yikes! How do you stay cool enough?! Or do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the butterfly metaphor works just about every which way unless they can't sweat! Yes! I'm plastered with sweat at seven in the morning. Admittedly, I just went for a very short loop around the apartment complex, but I don't usually sweat much. The heat and humidity is intense, even by Missouri standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog certainly has dramatic tension. I can't wait to hear about your travels to Chongqing! And I'm very impressed with your language skills. To be able even to attempt your different scenarios is impressive. Best wishes to you!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marty, Your blog is beginning to take a certain form--half an initiation story and half a social observer. Keep those post coming. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of living in an area with 27 million people gives me the
    heebie-jeebies. I wonder what percentage is awake at a given time.
    Do you ever feel like an ant? Does a Chinese person? Your adaptability awes me. I mean it. Does it ever rain at 100*F? That would be ideal or awful I guess. Ben

    ReplyDelete