Friday, January 3, 2014

The Chinese Riviera

So what was the carrot that kept me slogging through all those pages of student writing?

Hainan, dubbed the Chinese Riviera.
Hainan is an island in the South China Sea,
about the same latitude as Hawaii.

Ahhhhh! Sand underfoot . . .water cold upon entering but just right after swimming a bit.

Wuzhi Zhou Island, a beautiful little island off the coast of Hainan, a bigger island.
Sanya is the city in the background.

A dozen or so Chinese ventured out beyond the roped off swimming area;
lifeguards used little motorboats to generate waves and spray
to force the determined outliers back within the roped in area.


 Let me explain: This is not the typical Peace Corps experience! Perhaps Southwest University is spoiling the half dozen of us foreign teachers who are being treated to this incredible New Year's holiday. Plane ride from Chongqing to Sanya, posh hotel, ferry rides out to various islands, a little scuba diving. This, of course, is not the Chinese New Year, otherwise known as Spring Festival or Chun Jie, but it's a good enough excuse, apparently, for a trip. (Upon my return I'll have exams waiting for me to grade--I need to enjoy this while I can!) Thanks to our waiban and to Southwest University in Beibei!  



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sanya_beach_scene.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Well, not exactly Punta Cana, but certainly easier to get to! Maybe this is your little vacation for winter 2014 as thje wedding trip was last year. Anyway, so glad you are there. It looks delightful even if it's too cold to swim and sunbathe. Here we went from over 60 degrees yesterday to 6" of snow today and more to come. We're to dip down below zero tomorrow night. No wonder so many of us are sick! Enjoy yourself! Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty, I have neglected you, though I peek at your blog every now and then. Life has been pretty harried, but Jack is improving and I am regaining my life. It has been over six months.

    I am so glad you got the pleasure of a holiday at the beach, you certainly deserve it. Your life is so full of people, images, learning, beauty, language, how do you keep from being dizzy? I am in awe of you and your ability to handle this new life, not just handle it, but thrive in it. I am not surprised, I must add. When are you coming home, and where will that be? Have you made any decisions about that?Keep blogging, I love it and love you! Aline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beach looks cool. I could really go for a beach. BP

    ReplyDelete